Jessamine County 1st graders ingested CBD gummies at school

0 2


Officials say several first graders in Jessamine County unintentionally ingested CBD gummies because they thought they were candy. An investigation is underway.

Officials say several first graders in Jessamine County unintentionally ingested CBD gummies because they thought they were candy. An investigation is underway.

Wichita

Several first graders at Jessamine County’s Brookside Elementary School ingested CBD gummies Monday after one of the students brought them from home, police and school officials said Tuesday.

Between eight and 10 first graders ingested the gummies, officials said.

“We had a first grader at Brookside bring CBD gummies to school thinking they were candy and gave them to other students,” said Jessamine County Superintendent Matt Moore. “We contacted the police and EMTs to assist with the situation. All of the parents of the students involved were also contacted.”

Nicholasville police officer Sam Wade said the situation was discovered shortly before noon Monday. Out of an abundance of caution, poison control officials encouraged families to get children checked out at the hospital.

Moore said no students became ill.

Wade said parents should keep CBD gummies out of reach of children. He said the incident is under investigation.

CBD is not illegal, Wade said. Harvard Health Publishing said CBD or cannabidiol is the second most prevalent active ingredient in cannabis or marijuana. While CBD is an essential component of medical marijuana, it is derived directly from the hemp plant, a cousin of marijuana, or manufactured in a laboratory. There is no evidence of public health related problems associated with the use of pure CBD.

Staff writer Valarie Honeycutt Spears covers K-12 education, social issues and other topics. She is a Lexington native with southeastern Kentucky roots.



Source link

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.