Chemical spill contained in Berea KY after evacuation
A chemical spill in Berea Wednesday evening posed potential danger at a produce company site, but first responders managed to clear the area safely, according to the Berea Fire Department.
The incident happened around 5:10 p.m. at Mastronardi Produce USA on Industrial Drive. The fire department said firefighters found an active spill of nitric acid from a container in a tractor-trailer outside the facility when they arrived.
Nitric acid is very corrosive and can cause irritation to the eyes, skin, and mucous membrane if exposed, according to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. People can be harmed from exposure to nitric acid, depending on the level of exposure and duration. Nitric acid can also cause delayed illnesses.
The fire department said it evacuated the area and quickly contained the spill. No injuries were reported.
A special hazardous material team also responded to the factory to assist with cleanup and disposal of the spill. The fire department said there was no longer a hazardous threat to the area and it is safe.
“We would like to thank … all who responded to this incident,” the fire department said in a news release. “The quick thinking and training helped from making a bad situation much worse.”